Another game, another Berlin, another draw: for the sake of completeness I compiled this edition of Chess in Tweets for posterity.
I want to open this edition with a quote by Bobby Fischer:
“But the thing that was great about Capablanca was that he really spoke his mind, he said what he believed was true, he said what he felt. He wanted to change the rules [of chess] already, back in the twenties, because he said chess was getting played out. He was right. Now chess is completely dead. It is all just memorisation and prearrangement. It’s a terrible game now. Very uncreative.”
Chess24 commentators doing a Magnus!
Game 9 in 9 tweets
1. @Jaircabra: “Tired of waking up at 6am, but I know next game will be worth it!”
2. @LarsNygaard: “Magnus managed remis while half asleep yesterday. He should have a good chance of winning today.”
3. @chessidharta: “I wouldnt mind chess without the Berlin Wall”
4. @ggzz212002: “Thanks Vladimir Mourinho Kramnik for inventing this boring nightmare.”
5. @elgransenor1: “Has the Berlin defence killed chess???”
6. @Ped989: “Fischer was right. Chess is dead. Boring Berlin, boring same system every time. Shite.”
7. @erwinlami: “This draw doesn’t count. I didn’t tweet anything yet”.
8. @kasparov63: “Berlin aside, I also learned that this is a dangerous path. Giving up quick draws with white is a betrayal of Kaissa & she does not like it!”
9. @MagnusCarlsen: “Well, that was fun, wasn’t it”
One final tweet tweet for today: @HoangNGhiaLe: “Carlsen failed to become the youngest Champion, but he still has the chance to be the youngest ex-one.”