Big day in Tromsø: the FIDE Presidential elections were held today during the General Assembly at Tromsø University.
Many tweets were send from the hall. It was not allowed to film and without a livestream, Twitter became the most important source of information. You can find an excellent report of the presidential elections by eyewitness Peter Doggers on chess.com. In case you did not have the time to follow and sort all the tweets, here is an overview of the presidential election in 20 tweets!
1. @Mathiasjo: “The letter censoring the press at the FIDE congress, signed exec. dir. Nigel Freeman.”
2. @chessnotes: “Hard to predict, but “sources” indicate Ilyumzhinov wins close “rigged” election, result which will be legally challenged by Kasparov.”
3. @telegraphchess:“If you thought FIDE could not more eastward think again perhaps we should be grateful it’s not heading into space”.
4. @gmastrokoukos: “llyumzhinov and Makro crush Nigel Short’s hilarious claims regarding AGON. Huge long applause for Kirsan by whole audience.
5. @TarjeiJS: “Oh. My. God. Can’t believe what I am hearing and seeing. Kindergarten.”
6. @chess24com: “Kasparov promises 10 Million USD from Rex Sinquefield into the FIDE budget tomorrow if he will be elected”.
7. @telegraphchess: “Kirsan thx Rex Sinquefield for offering 10million and declares he offers 20million +offers $100k to Kasparov Chess Foundation #thisisajoke“.
8. @MarkTWIC: “Was already thinking during Kasparov’s speech and now doubled by Kirsan “Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows everything that’s wonderful”.
9. @vishalsareen: “Thunderous Applause for Kirsan means he has majority. Garry said 10 Million Kirsan says 20 million… Qui benefits?”
10. @jonathan_rowson: “Sounds like Kirsan will be re-elected. Disaster for chess .4 more years as a Cinderella sport.”
11. @MadsStostad: “Kasparov: Jeg gir FIDE 10 millioner i morgen! Kirsan: Jeg gir 20 millioner – i dag!”
12. @ecfchess: “Ilyumzhinov 110-61 Kasparov. Nothing more to say.”
13. @chessninja: “Well, I was out of clean underwear anyway.”
14. @bror: “Show us the money, Ilymzhinov! But most important of all; show us change! And openness! And transparency!”
15. @ejhchess:“Kirsan is without question a crook, a liar and worse, but I can muster no sympathy for the Kasparov campaign with their bullying and bribes”.
16. @dgriffinchess: “Could it be that people still associate Kasparov (& Short) with chaos that followed 1993 privatisation of World Championship?”
17. @chessnotes: “Eventually, chess players will realize that FIDE can’t be reformed, that it is utterly corrupt, and that a new organization must be formed.”
18. @davidlettington: “Appalling interview with Ilyumzhinov – his promised funds already disappearing. Appears to have plucked $20m figure from air”.
19. @OdionAikhoje: “Congrats on your reelection! It’s time to take Chess to greater heights!”
20. @chessbookreview: “A sad day for chess.”
Bonus tweet: @Jonathan_Rowson: “Thoughts go out to the eye witnesses of another sad and torturous FIDE Election”